I've been using bandsintown to display my tour dates on my website and a tab on my Facebook page, but my lack of control over Facebook events and various bugs have led me to look into other options. I love Fanbridge, and it's the only online membership I'll pay for, so I'd like to be able to use your new event widget. Unfortunately, there are several things about it that keep me from being able to just switch now and I wanted to share them in case you're interested in improving the widget. I really hope that you consider these things because it would make my life as a musician so much easier if I could use your widget instead!
For example's sake, I put up a temporary page on my website with the widget where you can reference the issues I'm having with my particular show (specifically the Laconia, NH one in May 2013) and widget: http://www.laurenfairweather.com/fanbridge-widget-test/ I'm using Google Chrome on a Macbook Pro if that helps.
1. The 'Additional Info' cuts off halfway through my information about the show. The widget links to 'more info', so I assumed if I clicked that, the information would expand so people could read the rest of it. Instead, it linked to the tour date on my fanbridge landing page, which ALSO cuts off midway through my additional information, so several important things that people will need to know in order to attend the event are just not there. Upon going back to edit the event, I realized that the remaining text was just deleted and now I have to remember what else was in there, which is not something I have the time or memory capacity to deal with when I'm entering 30-40 events at a time for a tour. If you're going to have a character limit for that section, please alert me to it so I could try to edit the text before it deletes half of my show information. The current limit allowed for less than half of what I needed to enter for the one show I created to test the widget. I would need all of the information for the show to be viewable when I expand the show info in the widget, and I would rather not have to send people all over the internet to find it. It's hard enough getting people to come to shows even when the information is easy to find.
2. The reason why my additional info is so long is that there are several things that could fit into their own fields but there was nowhere to enter them. In order to make my additional info section shorter, I could benefit from being able to enter items such as the lineup of bands playing, to choose my own 'more info' link such as the festival's official website (rather than just sending them to the same information on my fanbridge landing page), and...
3. ***Facebook event integration. This was the major reason why I chose bandsintown in the first place and it is really important to me. Their method for integrating Facebook events and encouraging fans to RSVP is kind of a complicated mess so all I'd really love to see from you guys in this category is a field when editing the event where I could enter the link to the Facebook event I created for the show. Then, if the artist chose to enter a link there, it could appear as a button similar to the 'tickets' 'more info' 'remind me' buttons that says "RSVP on Facebook". I hardly have to explain to Fanbridge that social networking is really important, and while it's awesome that you guys have integrated share buttons, being able to link up the place where people can RSVP, invite friends, keep up with changes in the event, and arrange for rides in the wall posts would greatly increase interactivity and the possibility that people will come to my show. Right now, I had entered the link to my Facebook event in 'additional info' and it has been lost to the internet black hole, as mentioned above. I added a second event (Florissant MO next week) to see how it would display, and with the way it currently is, the link is not clickable. Would I be able to enter html in the additional info area if Facebook event integration doesn't happen so people can click?
4. Sometimes, when adjusting the width of the widget, it retains the same width except for the outer border, so I have a skinny widget in a big box with an awkward scrolling bar. I fixed this by entering a custom width and switching back and forth between widths a couple of times, but it's buggy so I figured I'd mention it. I'd also eventually like to be able to state a custom height if possible, but that's not as important as the other things on this list. I've tried editing the height directly in the code and it gets all messed up.
5. I'm getting a bug with displaying the city and state as well. On my widget, I'd entered the street address followed by "Laconia" as the city and "New Hampshire" as the state, but on the left side of the expanded part of the widget, it says "76 Lake Street, New Hampshire, US 03246" and leaves the city name out entirely. Before I can start using the widget, I'd need the address to display correctly so my fans know where to go.
6. I'm also getting a bug with displaying the time of the event. I had entered 11:55pm as the time of the concert, but on the widget, it says 11PM. I'd rather not communicate to my fans the incorrect time and there's quite a bit of a difference there. I can understand that 11:55 is a silly time but there are plenty of shows that start at half past and if the widget is only displaying the number of the hour, that's not really the best way to get people reliable information.
7. This is more an issue with events on fanbridge in general but it's closely related as long as the 'more info' buttonon the widget is set to bring people to the fanbridge landing page. Even though door time is not a required field, it shows up as 7PM when I don't enter a door time on the landing page (and given that this particular show is at 11:55pm, that's a little bit silly). We rarely schedule door times as we normally play in DIY venues and our schedules are pretty chill. Sometimes people show up an hour early to get seats, and we usually just let them in whenever. In this case, I need to make up a door time just to keep the random 7PM from showing up.
I've suggested several things on here in the past, and I'm always pleased with how great you guys are about responding and taking things into consideration. I know that this is a lot to ask all in one place, but I'm tired of trying to get bandsintown to listen and I would much rather use Fanbridge for all of this stuff. I want to help and I've already benefitted so much from your amazing tools for musicians, so if these things were improved, I would be a happy girl. Thank you so much for your time and I hope you're doing well! :)
Please sign in to leave a comment.